Integrated Approach to Internet
Strategy for Business
by: Ajay Prasad
Technology and the Internet have transformed business in ways that very few people could have predicted years ago.
Increasingly the internet is being used as a cost effective solution for many of the business operations. An
internet business strategy is basically a plan that how you want to manage your online presence for your
Adopting an integrated approach in devising a successfully internet strategy to benefit your business, a well
planned web presence can increase the market awareness and branding of your business that brings you tangible
Just as you have a strategic plan to grow your business, you need to develop an internet marketing plan that
integrates the most effective online strategies for increasing website traffic and converting visitors into
An internet strategy for any business includes website planning, development, marketing and management. Planning
ensures that your content targets the right type of customers. For that you have to customize your web plan to fit
your company rather than following any well-written formula. Even so, there are standard components you have to
follow them such as market analysis, strategy, any specific development plan, marketing and most importantly
1. Market research- It is a fundamental part of any business strategy. This normally includes a target market
analysis, market research and a market forecast.
2. Website strategy- This includes your mission and objective of starting an internet business, web development and
3. Specific development plan- Any web plan is measured by the result it produces. Therefore, implementation of your
plan is more important than brilliant ideas. Start taking action on the tasks that you have created during the
4. Identify your organization goals. Every company has a set of tangible and intangible goals and identifying yours
will help you better focus on it and implement them in time.
5. Online marketing- Getting the most out of the online marketing channels requires specialized techniques like
search engine optimization, pay per click marketing, social media optimization, e-mail marketing and many more to
reach out to your customers.
6. Expense budget- This includes details to track expenses month by month and follow up with your plan vs. actual
7. Returns (ROI) - Business is driven by ROI and it is only natural that the online marketing efforts need to lead
into a positive ROI determined by the key performance indicators.
8. Survey- Get feedback from website visitors regarding what bought them to you or how their experience has been on
The Internet presents a wide range of marketing and communication opportunities for every business. Making those
opportunities a reality requires careful planning, thoughtful assessment and directed focus.
Web design is very important to search engines. Messy, over-complicated or bad code give the search engine spiders
a hard time crawling your pages. If the spiders/crawlers can't crawl your pages properly and retrieve all the data
they need, the search engines can't rank them properly.
There are more effective methods of attracting your customers to your website than search engine listings. PPC is
great for targeting potential leads in every phase of the buying cycle and it is measurable. Studies show that
regular contact with customers helps to maintain your relationship with them and generates referral business.
Many companies consider web advertising a viable technique to benefit your online business. The ability to target
has been one of the main things that have attracted people to the internet for advertising. You can target big to
very small websites that give real, vertical information and at the same time, it is also interactive.
The scope for business on the Internet is fantastic-there is so much potential there and all you have to do is have
an integrated strategy or plan to make it happen.
About The Author
Ajay Prasad is founder of Global Marketing Resources LLC that runs a number of ecommerce
websites under its umbrella.